Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tuesday Blues...

So I did a big boo-boo. I'm chanting "I'm just a beginner, this is just an experiment" over and over today so I don't feel like a murderer.

Andy and I went to Wally World Sunday evening so I could get more peat pellets, and our youngest is turning 3 this week so we needed to get some stuff for his party. Well, we stumble across the "Make It Grow" section. We couldn't pass it up. We've managed to steer clear of these horrible chemicals since the beginning, knowing that whatever we are doing at home appears to be working b/c all of our babies are healthy and growing like they should (except the flippin leggy ones, but I fixed that lol). Anyway... we see some Pennington Tomato & Vegetable plant food and decide it's ok to buy it. The big reason was that it was only $2.72 and we figured if it didn't work, we'd only wasted a few bucks. What we didn't figure into the equation is what if this kills my babies! GRRRRRRRRR!

The directions are clear on the box. Mix 2 tablespoons per plant into the soil and water real good. I thought that was a bit much for my babies, so I did about 1/2 tablespoon, mixed it into the top soil of my paper sack condos and watered real good. Lucky for me... I didn't put that toxic "food" on all of my babies. I figured I would see how they like it first and then go hog wild with the rest of them in a week if they did well.

HOLY CRAP! The next morning I'm looking at my babies and it's like their stems are shrinking! Being the google-whore, I jump on the computer and see what the hell I did. I look up Pennington and didn't really find anything. Then I start going through gardening forums and low and behold, you aren't supposed to let this (or any) "food" (or toxic waste) touch the damn plant. Shit shit shit! Why doesn't it say that on the flippin box?!?!?! Oh boy, the website of these people is seriously going to get some feedback from THIS customer! So I get out a spoon and try to dig out as much of this stuff as I can without snapping my little tender babies right in half. All I could do from this point was wait.

So this morning I jump out of bed, eyelids still half glued together with boogers and slobber still on my face, and run to the kitchen, praying I saved some of them. I can tell you this much, if that so-called "food" hadn't killed them already, my breath would have taken care of it. Looks like the damage was done for the most part. Some of them seem like they might survive, but I'm not that hopeful. The rest of them I've moved out of my tubs and decided to just start over. Crapity crap crap!!!

This is what I killed so far... Hopefully this is all of them!

031709 my babies i killed

I'm just a beginner... this is just an experiment...

I'm just a beginner... this is just an experiment...

No comments:

Post a Comment