Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday Update!

So this weekend wasn't exactly how we planned it. We went to the top-soil place, and apparently there wasn't a foreman there so they couldn't fire up the loader... That's crap. They are open from 8a-1p on Saturday's specifically for homeowners to be able to pick up what they need... and they don't have a friggin foreman available? Whatever. So Andy worked a deal out with the owner of the facility and it taking a day off work this week to get it at a discounted price plus fishing privileges at the lake on this property lol. Nice work!

So while I was off running errands on Saturday, he put together all but one side of the raised beds and layed them out where I wanted them. They are not as wide as I thought they would be, but that's ok, it makes it easier for me to reach the middle lol. I think they are about 4' in width and still 10' in length. We have plenty of room for a couple more beds too, which is nice, because the footage that I lost in my lack-of-measuring abilities will be made up in another raised bed.

031009 raised beds

Hopefully Wednesday, with the Gardening Gods and Mother Nature willing, we will be able to get that ton of top-soil and get it in the beds - and add an additional one or two beds as well.

I've been tending to my babies in the kitchen and I'm a little confused here. It appears a couple of my bush beans are becoming quite "leggy". I've heard the expression over and never really knew what folks meant. I'm assuming it's when these guys get too tall with few leaves. I've got that one a few of my babies, but I'm trying to limit light and water to stunt them a bit. I hope I don't screw this up. UGH!

Anyway, here's some updated pics on my little babies!

031009 sweater rack

The "sweater rack" I've moved in to the kitchen with my babies in their papersack condos. They all seem to be surviving their transplants and thriving pretty good!

031009 squash

Close-up of my squashlings. I've noticed a few "true leaves" on a few of the plants!

031009 corn

Cornlings are doing great! I've got to remember to get another set of these suckers going so this whole succesion gardening thing works lol. Hell, I'll be lucky if I get an ear of corn at all and I'm already planning my next round LOL.

Andy can't get the truck to the backyard so he's going to have to get out the hand-dandy wheel barrow and go to town with it. I'll be directing traffic. I'll be the foreman.

On a side note... buying the tools necessary for this adventure of mine (that was supposed to be an inexpensive hobby) has been a true test of Andy's love lol. When we bought the wheel barrow, and believe me I looked on Craigslist for a cheapy, I couldn't believe the cost of that thing. It's a bucket on wheels for Pete's sake. Why in the world would it cost $79??? And that wasn't even the top of the line fancy schmancy one! My only requirement was that it have 2 wheels because I'm not an acrobat and I fall down a lot. I'm not exactly like one of the top heavy women who wobble and teeter. I'm more of a bottom heavy type of gal with weak ankles who constantly bumps into stuff and eventually lands on her a$$. Granted, there's plenty of cushion back there to break the fall, but it's a fall none-the-less. So I figured 2 wheels would at least help in some way.

Well, time to tend to the babies (the real ones, not the plants). More updates to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment