Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday Update!

Well, we decided to hold off for a week on getting the beds built b/c of the freeze last weekend. Not that I thought it would have anything to do with the top-soil, b/c it's supposed to be screened and all that jazz... mostly because we didn't want to go outside and freeze our butts off. So the plan is set for this weekend to buy a ton of top-soil, get the beds on the ground and fill them!

In the meantime, my babies in the house have just been growing and growing!

The demon corn has sprouted roots out the bottom of my pellets. I'm afraid I'm going to have to replant them in something bigger prior to moving them outside. I'm thinking about doing the newspaper rolls I read about so I can keep them pretty contained until it's warm enough to get them in their permanent home.

Photobucket

Then we've got the brussel sprouts that I've been thinning to try and keep them in order. I don't think they are going to do very well in a spring/summer crop because of our weather here, but I'm giving it a try. If it doesn't work, I've still got the winter crop to work with.

The tomatoes are doing well still too. I've moved a few of the cherry tomatoes to another butter tub so they have a bit more room. I have no idea what to do with the rest other newspaper roll them when they get too big for their peat pellets.

030209 brussels sprouts and tomatoes

Then we have the garlic with the sunflower in the middle. The sunflower is creepy looking, and I'm going to have to move him again, but I needed a place to stick him for the moment. I can smell the garlic YUM!

Photobucket

So far, the biggest mistake that I can see that I've made is planting too many seeds per pellet. I just didn't think that all of those little boogers were actually going to sprout! So now I've got to kill my babies and thin them. I guess it's better to have too many rather than too few... or none at all. Lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment